As temperatures begin to cool, mice, rodents and other creatures begin looking for warmer areas to make their home and a pool heater may be the perfect place! As you can imagine, your pool heater is a much warmer location for them. As a pool owner, you want to protect your heater to keep rodents from setting up camp within your heater. That’s why it is important for you to take a few steps to keep mice and other rodents out of your pool heater all year long.
When rats, mice and other rodents infest your pool heater, they quickly set up camp. When they are living inside your heater, they quickly chew through your wiring, along with piling it with all sorts of nastiness. The problem is, you don’t even know you have an issue until you try to turn your heater on, and then quickly realize something has gone wrong.
Aside from regularly checking your pool heater, here are some things you can use to deter those pesky little creatures.
- Place a few moth balls inside the control panel. Rodents hate the smell, and will avoid them if they can.
- Stuff open cracks with steel wool. Pack the holes through which the wires feed, and tape up the blower air feed for the winter. It’s understood that mice hate the taste of blood, so chewing through it will cause their mouth to bleed.
- Cover the sides of your heater with chicken wire. This gives an extra barrier to deter your winter friends.
- You can also add pieces of wood paneling to the sides of your heater. This will clean up the look of your heater, and secure the work you’ve done.
- Rats and mice hate snakes. Place a few rubber snakes around your heater area. They make a great deterrent.
Of course, in the spring you’ll need to undo everything you just did, but keeping your heater free of the destruction of rodents will save you costly repairs in the future.
In the event rodents, or some other issue, wreaks havoc with your pool heater, remember that we are just a call away!