So your thinking about getting heating oil for your home, but did you do any research besides how much it cost? Here are some interesting facts about home heating oil, and the benefits your it can provide for your home.
- If you thought oil looked like a black swirly liquid, you would be wrong. Oil in its original form looks like a thick muck, it can be black, red, green or even brown.
- Almost all forms of oil is trapped inside of rocks. These rocks need to be broken in order to retrieve the oil.
- People have been gathering oil since the Roman times. Prior to the systematic oil extraction that began during the 20th century, finding oil was a game of chance.
- More than 100 countries around the world produce oil. 90% of the world’s oil is produced in the Middle East.
- The continents sit on large pieces of rock called ‘tectonic plates.’ These plates shift and move all the time, therefore oil that is formed in one location can be found millions of yeas later in a completely different spot.
- When extracting oil, it is common to find gas at the same time. When oil and natural gas mix, they create petroleum.
- In order to extract oil, you need to drill a hole. The deeper the hole, the older the oil.
- Home heating oil has ver few emissions, making it a cleaner fuel to use for heating.
- Home heating oil has the hottest flame of any home fuel source, making it the most efficient method to heat your house quickly.
- You cannot set home heating oil on fire with a match. If you drop a lit match into a pool of heating oil, it will extinguish. In it’s liquid form, home heating oil is non-explosive and cannot mix with air to become explosive.
Thank you to Emo Heating Oil for the original information. You can read more here.